Mongolian winter adventures
Here’s a detailed itinerary for a winter adventure in Ulaanbaatar and central Mongolia, covering the mentioned places:
Day 1: Arrival in Ulaanbaatar
- Upon arrival at Chinggis Khaan International Airport, you’ll be transferred to your hotel in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia’s capital city.
- Spend the day exploring Ulaanbaatar’s attractions at your own pace. Visit Sukhbaatar Square, the central square of the city, and see the statue of Damdin Sukhbaatar, a national hero.
- If you’re interested in history, visit the National Museum of Mongolia to learn about the country’s rich heritage and culture.
- In the evening, experience Mongolian cuisine at a local restaurant.
Day 2: Ulaanbaatar City Tour and Zaisan Hill
- Start the day with a city tour of Ulaanbaatar. Visit Gandan Monastery, one of the most important Buddhist sites in Mongolia, and witness the monks’ morning prayers.
- Next, head to the Zaisan Memorial on Zaisan Hill. Enjoy panoramic views of the city and the surrounding mountains, and see the Soviet-style monument honoring Mongolian and Soviet soldiers.
- Afterward, explore the Bogd Khan Palace Museum, which was once the residence of Mongolia’s last king.
- In the evening, enjoy a traditional Mongolian cultural show featuring folk music, dance, and throat singing.
Day 3: Terelj National Park
- Leave Ulaanbaatar and drive to Terelj National Park, located about 80 kilometers northeast of the city.
- Explore the park’s stunning natural landscapes, including rock formations like Turtle Rock and the scenic Terelj River.
- Take a leisurely hike or go horseback riding through the picturesque valleys and enjoy the serenity of the winter landscape.
- Visit a nomadic family’s ger (traditional dwelling) and experience their way of life, including traditional food and learning about their customs.
- Enjoy a peaceful night in a ger camp, surrounded by the beautiful winter scenery.
Day 4: Chinggis Khan Statue Complex and Erdene Zuu Monastery
- After breakfast, drive to the colossal Chinggis Khan Statue Complex, located on the bank of the Tuul River. This 40-meter-tall statue of Chinggis Khan on horseback is an impressive sight to behold.
- Climb to the statue’s observation deck for panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
- Continue onward to Kharkhorin, the ancient capital of Mongolia, to visit the Erdene Zuu Monastery. This historic monastery was built in the 16th century and is one of the largest and oldest in Mongolia.
- Explore the monastery’s temples, stupas, and museum, gaining insight into Mongolian Buddhism and history.
- Overnight in a ger camp in Kharkhorin.
Day 5: Elsen Tasarkhai Mini Gobi and Return to Ulaanbaatar
- In the morning, drive to Elsen Tasarkhai, also known as the Mini Gobi, located in the central part of Mongolia.
- Explore the beautiful sand dunes, contrasting with the snowy surroundings, and take part in activities like camel riding or sandboarding.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch amidst the stark beauty of the landscape.
- In the afternoon, drive back to Ulaanbaatar and check into your hotel.
- Spend the evening wandering through Ulaanbaatar’s lively streets, shopping for souvenirs, or enjoying a spa treatment to relax.
Day 6: Departure from Ulaanbaatar
- Depending on your flight schedule, you may have time for some last-minute shopping or sightseeing.
- Transfer to the airport for your departure, concluding your winter adventure in Mongolia.
Please note that this is a sample itinerary and can be customized based on your preferences, travel duration, and budget. It’s essential to check the accessibility of certain places during winter, as weather conditions might impact road conditions and travel arrangements.